Welcome

The Coma de Vaca refuge was built in the summer of 1998 and 1999 to replace the old and handicapped free shelter. The owner is the Mountaineering Federation of Associations of Catalonia (FEEC) and has been built with the support of the Generalitat de Catalunya and the Consejo Superior de Deportes. It is situated at 2000 meters. height in the plà de les Eugues, where the rivers converge Freser and Vaca. Located in the municipality of Queralbs (Ripollès).

The writer Angel Guimerà was inspired by the landscapes Coma de Vaca wrote his famous work Low Earth where a shepherd named Manelic. So the shelter Coma de Vaca is also known as Manelic.

The old shelter was opened on 20 September 1959. It was a small hut that was the function of free and shelter that was built in the 50s in terms of the mares to make your stay during the study of a project to build a dam for hydroelectric exploitation . The hut was ceded to the FEEC to function as a shelter for hikers.

In summer 1998, FEEC within the National Plan of Refuges with the support of the Consejo Superior de Deportes and the Governement of Catalonia and decided to demolish the old shelter deficit and free to build a new shelter kept.